Thursday, January 16, 2014

A day of rage and tears

Made a phone call today with the intent of severing ties. The "victim" was on another call. Can't really "break up" in a voice message so I left a message with a secretary. I told her that I was thinking about leaving and that I had been unhappy with the service for quite some time. She assured me that I would get a call back ASAP.

That's part of the problem. She always says that. And they never call back - ASAP or otherwise. I don't want to be the kid who takes his ball home when he doesn't get his way but I am PAYING for the service. It's not a courtesy, it's part of the service that I expect. So I've heard all of this before. Perhaps this time was different.

Turns out it was. But I started hearing the same excuses and my blood began to boil. I shot up from my desk and frantically searched for an office with a door I could close. I fell about 12 paces short. Right in the hallway, in front of cubes and offices alike, I *kinda* lost my shit. Temper flared. Voice raised. Effectiveness was questions. Expletives were utilized.

It takes a lot to get me worked up. Even more so these days than just a few years ago. And I cannot tell you when I have been that upset. I was given assurances. I was given promises. I don't care about all of that. I want results. And I think I've paid quite enough to have "earned" the right to get them.

I think my outburst, embarrassing as it was, actually may get things rolling. I hate squeaky wheel syndrome. I don't like to be the complainer. But the time had long passed for me to give this person a piece of my mind. I like where things are going, at least preliminarily. We'll see in the coming months if I made the right choice in sticking with them. I hope so. I'm just tired of the fighting.

Well, a few hours later, I guess things just caught up with me and I began sobbing at my desk. I went into a dark office and got my shit back together. I returned to my desk, cracked open a special bottle of Woodford, poured a triple, and gulped it in one motion.

Thankfully the night was not full of further acts of self-destruction. In fact, quite the opposite. A friend came over late and brought me hugs, hope, and some PB M&Ms. It was kinda fucking awesome and they are kind of my hero right now. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment